Frequently Asked Questions

  • How can I find a job in the Public Service?

You need to obtain a copy of the weekly Public Service Official Circular published by the PSC where vacancies in the Public Service are advertised.

  • Where can I obtain a copy of the Public Service Official Circular?

If you have access to the internet, you can obtain an e-copy of the Circular from our website click here. You can also visit our main office in Apia to access the Circular.

  • What if I am a Returning Graduate?

The PSC no longer performs direct placements of graduates to vacant positions in the Service. The only field that PSC can place graduates in is Teaching. However, you can still find another job of your choice outside the Service or apply for a vacancy in the Public Service.

  • How can I apply for a job in the Public Service?

You must uplift an Application Form 2 and Job Description from the respective Ministry who has the vacancy. After filling up the form, submit your application to that Ministry.

  • Where do I submit my Job Application?

You lodge your application at the main office of the respective Ministry that has the vacancy that you are applying for.

  • How can I apply for a part time job?

Write an Application Letter and send it directly to the Chief Executive Officer of the Ministry.

  • Who has the right to lodge a grievance?

Everyone (public servants and the public) can lodge a grievance against an Officer/employee (Temporary, Permanent, Contract).

  • How do I lodge a grievance?

A public servant or a member of the public can write to the CEO of the Ministry, copying the Secretary/CEO of the Office of the Public Service Commission and the individual involved.

  • What if my grievance is about my CEO, can I write straight to the Commission?

Yes. An Officer/employee can write directly to the Commission about their complaint.

  • Who can lodge an appeal?

Pursuant to section 49 of the Public Service Act 2004, the appellant must be a public servant/permanent officer who applied for the position. You can only appeal for a position higher than your current position and not a contract position.

(II) Any Public Service Officer may appeal against a decision by lodging a written notice of appeal with the Commission within 14 days after the date on which the decision was made.

(II) A notice of appeal must clearly set out the grounds of the appeal.

  • What if I am not a public servant who applied for a Ministry position and not satisfied with the recruitment and selection results?

You can lodge a grievance to the Office of the Public Service Commission.

  • What are the leave entitlements for public servants?

For all public servants leave entitlements, please refer to the Working Conditions and Entitlements Manual under the publications page.

  • How can I contact the Public Service Commission?

You can contact our office with the Contact details below. The opening hours are from 9:00 am – 5:00 pm during weekdays. Our office is closed during public holidays.

P.O. Box 73
Level 2, FMFM II Government

Phone: +685 – 22123, 22124, 22125
Facsimile: +685 – 24215